Bird Psycology 101

sluggo

Official PED Donator, Friend of Lootius
Shop Owner
Ok, so the feathered brat has this infatuation with my shoe strings. If I leave them ANYWHERE in sight, he will go out of his way, even knowing he will be punished, to get them and chew the crap out of them.

Well today I let him out of the cage and he made an immediate bee line walking up the stairs to get to my shoes I threw up there to keep them out of his way. Luckily I caught him before he got to them.

Well, here we go...

First, meet Mister Owl. Paco does NOT like Mr. Owl. (naturally owls being predator birds would be a fierce enemy), well maybe that is a bit of an understatement, Paco kind of hates the owl... anyways.

Love / Hate relationship anyone?

Let's take my shoes, which he apparently Loves, and let Mr. Owl, who he hates, have a chomp on the shoelaces. As you notice the owl and shoes are strategically placed right out of his reach.

So now he's mad because the owl gets them and he does not have at them, and is trying to reach out and grab the laces out of the owls mouth because they belong to HIM!!!

By the squalling and cursing at me, yah Paco is quite pissed with me LOL.

How fkin crazy have I become, having a battle of wits with a bird?

See, the thing is, the difference between a two year old and a Cockatoo... the two year old will grow up.

sluggo
Owl Boots.jpg

New York Rose

I absolutely love those birds.Your story is a real hoot (slight owl pun there)..Omg Sluggo!

I saw this and it reminded me of how you said when 'Paco' gets mad at you. Enjoy..

sluggo

Shop Owner
Wrecking the birds cage, umm yep that'll get you a smack down for sure! He better be careful because too's WILL hold a grudge and that bird will bite the crap out of him if he isn't careful :p I believe the back story is he got a brand new bigger better cage for the bird so it wasn't just him being mean.

sluggo

New York Rose

Wrecking the birds cage, umm yep that'll get you a smack down for sure! He better be careful because too's WILL hold a grudge and that bird will bite the crap out of him if he isn't careful :p I believe the back story is he got a brand new bigger better cage for the bird so it wasn't just him being mean.

sluggo

I think the story was he got him a bigger cage..I think that bird could kick his butt if was just him being mean..I followed the side links and just crack up at those!

sluggo

Shop Owner
Cockatoos have extremely powerful beaks, they could literally snap a finger off with little to no effort if they wanted. Mine chews / crumples up and chews holes in beer bottle caps. Their job in nature is to shred stuff and they re VERY efficient at it :/ But with all that power they are amazingly adept and agile with that beak too. When I pet him, I feel around for feather sleeves, like the plasticy things new feathers pop out in and if it's almost out Ill crunch it and pull it off the feather. I preen him. He tries to return the favor too and if you have any scabs or any 'blemishes' he will try to pick it off you. One day I had one of those hang nails where it's like a piece of the quick down the side of your nail hanging out a bit. You know, the very painful ones, before I know it he grabbed it and before I could cringe at the thought of him ripping that damned thing straight down the side of my nail, leaving me in agony for a few days while THAT heals up, he got his beak down to the bottom of it, pushed a bit and ever so gently snip, it's off, no pain. Another time I was eating walnuts, sitting here with a nut cracker getting them out, next thing I know I have that upside down eye to eye look of, HEY!! where's MINE? So I hand him one thinking it'll keep him busy for a bit, nope, about 15 seconds later he has that entire nut out of its shell and comes back down and hands it to me.

Im working on a trick, I almost got it mastered, well he does, where I say Paco, BEER. He will come down I hold my beer bottle out and he zips the cap off it. I just need to make sure he learned not to crunch down on it, we are practicing with those aluminum 'bottles' so he don't get glass shards until I know for sure, but he has learned that if I pull it away not to tug of war and let me have it so I think that one is golden soon :D

sluggo

sluggo

Shop Owner
Yah, they can get funny when you tease them like that. Cockatoo's can get all worked and spazzing over nothing as well. All you need to do is say OOH! What was that!! Paco, what WAS that? and look around, he'll puff up and go what? look around, start jumping around, and if you can get a hand around and grab his tail and go ROAR!! He will skwawk, look at you and laugh, but now you have a hyper monster on your hands, it will take you ten minutes to get him to settle down again. The most interesting thing is, he's a bird, he CAN fly and very well I may add too, but he forgets that sometimes. When he wants to come over where you are, he lifts his foot up and you are expected to just drop everything and go fetch him. I yell at him, you are a bird you lazy bastard, you want over here FLY! Then you get the kicked puppy look, and then have to go get him, little bugger is manipulative. Speaking of, it's time for him to get another shower, he's getting dusty again.

sluggo

Top Bottom