Turbine Inspection at a Power Plant

sluggo

Official PED Donator, Friend of Lootius
Shop Owner
In the Monria Team Ambassadors private discussion I mentioned my limited time over the next six weeks due to my work schedule and explained some of the stuff I do for a living. It was suggested that I post it here because it was interesting.

For those who are curious, I work in the power plant and we have a major outage right now, I have two 200 Megawatt turbines torn apart for overhaul and a lot of other jobs as well and it will last until about Mid April. Power plants don't go down much, maybe once a year or every two years for all the work to fix the stuff. This is for obvious reasons, people love their electricity and when we are down, that means we have to buy power if we can't generate enough on our own. They don't like generators NOT spinning so busy we are to get them back up as quickly as safely possible. Experience teaches me that towards the very end, 12 hour days turns into 18 and 20 hour days, sometimes more come crunch time. Last outage I did 38 straight hours getting the generators back online the final two days but we did it. Anyways that's why I am a bit scarce lately.

I mean how many people get to say they have 230 KV a few feet above their heads while working though it is a bit un nerving at times when your hair starts to stand on end or you see the fog sprites... gulp...

On that though, security has tightened up a bit over the years so we can't really stream it BUT, back in 2012 we did one of our other turbines, this was a 300 megawatt CFB steam unit, we did an open and inspect and some work on the turbine. My group had a major electrical re work to do as well, we moved the entire control room... anyways, we mounted a camera on a handrail out of the way with a shutter speed of one frame i think it was every 60 seconds and tied it all into a movie. I didn't but one of the guys in our group did this.

Here is a youtube link if you want to see a fast forward turbine tear down and re assemble.

P.S. There is another power plant down the road from us, back in the days they could not stay online to save their souls, so we nick named them 'The Dark Side' since the lights were always out and 'dark' over there... the nick name kind of stuck so that is the mention of 'dark side' here in the video.

sluggo

DarkMoonEnigma

Virtualsense Official
Staff member
Community & Media Manager
Virtualsense Media Team
VCAT Team Member
That IS interesting, especially since I would venture to say that for a lot of the creature comforts that we enjoy, we really don't give thought to those who work as hard as they do to provide them. Seems we notice when we're without them, and then some basically complain if the service isn't back online and functioning properly fast enough.

Much respect for what you do Sluggo, because that has got to be an enormous undertaking. :thumbsup

PS --> Love the reference to "The Dark Side" :D

Superraine raine r456

Very interesting work. Aways was interested in seeing processes of repairs and how things work. Probly why im a tool room machinist. I used to work as an operator in our machine shop and ran big 30 inch steel sleaved centrifugal clutches that i was told go to pwer plant hydro generators like that. And always wanted to see em used but never got the chance. Was wandering if uve seen t.b. woods clutches on ur repair jobs

sluggo

Shop Owner
Our turbines are direct coupled. I think 200 MW is a bit too big for a clutch. They use either steam or a gas turbine to power them so you vary the speed to synch up with the grid then close the breaker. Oddly enough we use the grid to start the gas turbine generators up, we turn them into a huge motor until they come up to speed then swap the current flow and they are generators once again. Well that's a very simplistic way of putting it but in a nutshell. Here are some more pictures. We had a bushing goto ground in the switch yard a few months back, this was caught on one of the security camera's, hence the graininess of the photo. You do NOT want to be around when stuff like this appens, that arc is about 20 foot tall FYI.

switchyard 1 small.jpg switchyard 2 small.jpg

sluggo

Shop Owner
The funny thing is, when we roll out the switches on the high sides of the generator transformers they DO make us wear rubber gloves and a face shield... while standing on a metal grate. I guess the reason is so that if something does happen, they have a few molecules of us left to positively DNA the remains!

Now... who was it again that likes to play with electric nano chips? Sparky????

sluggo

sluggo

Shop Owner
Well here we are a month into the outage and it is not going as expected, (Ironically that IS expected :D )
Both turbines had significant damage and we need our rotors overhauled. This means the outage will be going until the middle of may probably, although our work hours have slacked off a bit for the time being, im not holding my breath that they will stay this way. The first pay period, we get paid every 2 weeks, I put in 208 hours on my time card :x

These rotors now are not small things, they are in essence, the core of the engines that drive the generators. The pictures I am about to show you are of the rotors from inside a GE 7FA type turbine rated at about 180 megawatts. These rotors weigh roughly 120 000 Lbs each, that would be roughly 55 000 Kilo's for you metric types so this wasn't just a normal crane job here.

These first two pics are of the rotors themselves, the new one that is going in and the old one that came out.
I have a power point presentation with a few pictures in it of the extraction process, I somehow don't think I can put a PPT file to the forum here, especially since it's 4 meg or so, so will have to drag the pictures out of it one by one and post them later for you to see.

THIS is why I have not been around as often as I would like to be.
Sluggo
rotor 1.jpg

sluggo

Shop Owner
Oh I know, throw a whole cow in one end, get cooked hamburger out the other! People like to wake up in the morning and flip the switch and the lights come on, and that's all the thought the give to it, they have no idea what goes on in the background to keep that electricity as reliable as it is.... until it goes out :D then I'm the bad guy hehe.

Were hoping to get the first turbine back together and on the line first part of may and the second one a few weeks after that if all goes well. I'll work on those pics a bit later tonight and try to get them on here late tonight or tomorrow.

sluggo

Top Bottom