Monria Boxing Gloves

Hi Ant

when boxing gloves came out, I was all over them, honestly, they were cool idea. Not only Monria boxing, but filling the powerfist skillgap we have, genius.

But when I got into crafting them and seeing requirements to craft them, it poofed away.

I get the whole boxing ring idea, cool, but you should really think bigger than that. Since DME confirmed these are only vanity items for boxing, I would like to stress you with changing them for future. Change current blueprint and future blueprint requirements and/or droprate for items required.

Currently we have huge powerfist gap in weapons that are available for certain level. For that reason, powerfist is not really considered good option for a weapon. Monria boxing gloves could fill that gap, but crafting requirements are just silly.

For example, if I craft certain level of boxing gloves (due to component markup) these gloves would end up with so high markup, that player could only get 2-2.2 DPP out of them. Not only that, but due to drop rates, I could craft 1 or 2 pair at best, in a week. As a weapon I can use maybe hour or two, it screams vanity and it sucks.

Why create vanity item while you could create item for your boxing AND hunting needs? I could craft them all day long and people would buy them all day long if they had real value. Even 2.8+DPP would be awesome, but that would require a) less rare components b) higher droprate.

If you want to keep them as vanity items for boxing ring, fine, but you should think bigger than that. Monria could supply all future powerfist weapons for certain levels and that would generate traffic, which is your primary focus, right?

PS! Tell MindArk to change blueprint so we could choose to craft M or F, like armor crafting. Why make weapon/armor/hybrid whatever item this way, still boggles my mind. Even ultrarare blueprints don't do that and boxing gloves are common items.

PPS! Most monria boxing glove blueprints do not have market history for past month. Most of monria boxing gloves as items have no market history or have market history of 1-2 items ever bought.

DarkMoonEnigma

Virtualsense Official
Staff member
Community & Media Manager
Virtualsense Media Team
VCAT Team Member
Just to set the record straight ... I did NOT confirm that these are "vanity" items for boxing, but weapons we designed specifically for our boxing ring and our events, especially our annual boxing championship event that we will be premiering in the early Fall. I have already shared the Monria chat log with Ant so he gets the straight talk.

Maximus Cashicus

The boxing gloves are for the boxing ring, thats their function, I wouldn't see them as a vanity item in any way. They were created so people could have fun in boxing competitions on Monria .

Eugenio Anhithe Wilde

Moon Manager
Staff member
Virtualsense Media Team
Hey NPV,

I wouldn't call them vanity items tbh, although I have no problem with vanity items, I do wear a Chilli Sombero after all :)

You might not agree with the approach and that's fine but I'll explain my thinking with the boxing gloves and some of the challenges I guess.

The idea is to try to give a purpose to them and that purpose is primarily ring boxing with a view to the boxing tournament we plan to launch in the summer. If boxing as a fun activity goes well then I can hopefully expand on it in the future or if it remains a niche profession or activity then it will still add to the whole by adding variety to Monria which I would love for there to be more of. Now to be honest it can feel like this is all going in slow motion because the reality is that this all takes me a lot of time for me to get done.

On the stats I was more focusing on the utility of the gloves rather than dpp. I never really imagined the gloves being skilling weapons or hunting weapons, not that they can't be used this way. I was just more concerned with how much fun boxing would be. They're intended to be useful for boxing rather than powerfist skilling. So I was more interested in the dps, and HP damage in relation to weight divisions (avatar health) to be able to run fair and inclusive pvp contests with the ability to switch gloves tactically.

I used to do a fair bit of weapons crafting when I ran my shops, I collected the second round of new weapons bps when they first came out and I found that the powerfist weapons weren't great sellers because I feel there isn't a huge demand for powerfist, its more of a niche hunting profession.

On the dpp overall, there are other brawler weapons, smackers and powerclaws etc for example. I think the smacker 3 you can get around the 2.8 odd dpp. It is a mature weapon with low MU and all the ingredients of the bp are fairly easily obtained but it's not really widely used. Similarly the powerclaws have high SIB intervals, high dmg and high tt options. So I'm not so sure I could compete in this area if I wanted to as I don't think there is a huge purpose to the brawler profession beyond weapon choice.

I think of boxing gloves as more like the entrance fee to boxing events, where I put up some prizes and people compete for them because it will be required to use them. Beyond this is I see people wanting the gloves to practice to win the events, to get used to using them in the ring, get used to moving and targeting with the gloves etc and hopefully just have some overall fun with boxing and consume a few local resources in the process.

Saying all this balancing is not something I control, I asked for local resources and tried for item stats to simulate boxing as best I could within the limitations of how Entropia works.

On the male and female version this is because I wanted the first dual wield weapon for boxing as part of the role play element of it. This is not something that was possible but I worked with the devs as it was important to me (and one of the reasons it took a while to get done). The way we were able to achieve this was to get some custom development and also make the gloves part weapon/part clothing and this meant that we have a male and female boxing gloves (similar to wearable gloves).

Anyway I definitely wouldn't rule out a craftable boxing glove more tailored for hunting if that's what people want but I think they would need to be something new for that purpose and would take some time as I've been working in a slightly different direction with my last few design proposals.

Ant

Thanks for clarification :)

It just seems bit of a waste of dev time to make item/weapon hybrid that can be used only in boxing on monria. It's nice to have yearly, monthly or even weekly events, but what should we do with gloves the rest 3xx days in the year? So far outside the tournaments, boxing ring has been empty. Idea is great and it is lot of fun I'm sure, but it would be even more cool to hit 2 birds with 1 stone.

My feedback was motivated from having boxing gloves more utility, not just boxing. More utility brings more need, more need brings more people hunting/mining materials required and more population would bring even more people to boxing ring. Not even discussing the benefit to moon itself, shop owners and trading in general.

I have my own tiny business, we do system integration and manufacturing for military, airports, bank etc, so I'm used to approach things from business perspective. I do not care much for vanity, I care for usability and drawing more players/clients to something that's beeing done in game - current boxing gloves discussion.

Cheers!

Top Bottom