Collecting resources for a new forum section.

Discussion in 'Forum-Related Info / How To Create Monria Avatar' started by DarkMoonEnigma, Dec 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkMoonEnigma

DarkMoonEnigma Connecting Moon Dots Staff Member Moderator Monria Yamato Pilot Community Manager MCAT Team Member Monria Media Team Chief Fun Officer

Had an interesting chat in game Friday night that inspired me to do something here at the forum. I'm still designing in my head what it's going to look like, but in the meantime, my goal is to create a "Resources" section at the forum. The one resource that came up several times in our chat was Entropedia, as it seems to be a wealth of information. So now maybe you might get an idea of where I'm going with this.

I'm thinking I can create the Resources section in such a way to make this a community project where we continually add to it when we find something new. This way we're helping each other, instead of one person creating the content for all.

Don't post your links in this thread, because I want to design something that we can all work on, and then truly appreciate the combined effort. My intention is to get the community more involved with projects that will be beneficial for everyone.

For now, I would just like your input and suggestions on what you think we should focus on, and what you think would be beneficial to have available here based on your Monria or game experiences.

It could be related to something external, or specific to Monria. Plug into your creativity, because I'd like to utilize the talent we have in the community for many things going forward. <--- That was just a heads up. :D

2. sluggo

sluggo Official PED Donator, Friend of Lootius Shop Owner

Good idea. I think it might be best to keep it Monria based or Monria geared at the time. There really is no reason for me to talk about harvesting trees as an example when there are none on Monria :) Maybe describe some of the missions, locations for them, both turn in and mob location, things like that. Perhaps some tactics for doing them, ie this is the best way to kill a shrub (besides pee on it hehe) or, this is the from what I have seen, a better way to 'pattern' out your mining drops... stuff like that.

MIght be some sort of wiki type thing. That way I can pick a topic and ALL the information is there, and I don't have to sift through 10 pages of bad info, out of date info, MEE TOO MEE TOO!! posts, NO you are wrong moron posts etc to get to the info. Not to mention as info does change a wiki can be edited by MANY to update and you don't have to goto page 15 in the thread to see the 6 month later update.

sluggo

Kendra and DarkMoonEnigma like this.
  3. DarkMoonEnigma

DarkMoonEnigma Connecting Moon Dots Staff Member Moderator Monria Yamato Pilot Community Manager MCAT Team Member Monria Media Team Chief Fun Officer

I was thinking more in line with something where we don't have to scroll through pages of information to get to what we want, but have information readily available. I'm still working on how this could be done.

I think there are a few Wikis out there with depth and volume, so we don't have to reinvent the wheel per say, but maybe something of that sort attached to our own forum where we can entertain your idea of doing something Monria specific. Then perhaps I could create a section in the Resources area where we have the links to other sites that are useful, like Entropedia, the Little Big Mining that BJ mentions now and then, and others.

This is a work in progress, so all suggestions are welcome.

4. Eugenio Anhithe Wilde

Eugenio Anhithe Wilde Moon Manager Staff Member Moderator Monria Media Team

If there's any interest in a Monria Wiki, I can always get one installed here!

E8ty2nd and DarkMoonEnigma like this.
  5. BJ4RN3

BJ4RN3 Active Member

LittlebigMining log is a must for every miner! it's a easy way to see watch resources can be found in what area because monria is kinda tricky in that way if ya look at the cave because resource's can have a little change between teleports :)
    and a wiki would maybe be a good idea we just have to make sure we know enough stuff to really make it a wiki for everything :D you guys will figure it out ;D

Kendra and DarkMoonEnigma like this.
  6. DarkMoonEnigma

That would be great. Then we can have all things Monria and use it as a resource center. Perhaps have a section specifically for resources such as the LittleBigMining data and Entropedia, etc.

I'll discuss this further with Anhithe and see what we can do to make this happen if everyone thinks this would be something useful for the community.

Would like to get more feedback and suggestions on this from others please, so we do this how it will work for the community as a whole.

Thanks.

7. BJ4RN3

BJ4RN3 Active Member

my littlebigmining log has 1000 claims here on monria so i know a bit haha i know few other miners that also could help with the resources ^-^

DarkMoonEnigma likes this.
  8. sluggo

For those new to it, LBML can be a pain in the ass sometimes to initially get working. I have gotten good at explaining the stupidity of it in ways that are easier to understand. Once you do have it working, it is indispensable really for mining, unless you just like throwing ped away. If you have any questions or problems with it, give me a holler and Ill be happy to try to help you.

sluggo

Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
    BJ4RN3 likes this.
  9. DarkMoonEnigma

Perhaps the creation of this app or program became complex in its design due to the very nature of the type of data it was intended to share. I don't think one engages in this type of creativity and effort with the mindset to make it difficult for users to understand.

If you've become adept at explaining its complexity, then perhaps we can entertain a post in the mining area of the forum with your more helpful version of it to assist others. Then it would be a matter of directing someone to a link, rather than having to repeat yourself.

Maybe we can engage the creator of this resource to work with us on making it more user-friendly if it's that difficult?

10. sluggo

He does have his own forum and has said he is working on making it easier to set up.
    The biggest hurdle seems to be getting it to read the radar correctly. The radar literally has to be a certain size exactly and being off a pixel or two and it won't read.

It's kind of like riding a bike here. I can 'explain' it to you for hours until I am blue in the face but until you actually get on it yourself, and try and experiment yourself, what I say isn't a total problem solver. What helps is the interactivity, you say ok it aint working, I can say ok what's it doing now, you tell me, I say ok do this now, you say ok now its saying this, I say ok now try this etc etc.

When someone does get it going, they generally go; 'oh NOW I get it!' :)

Again it's a great program but has it's known issues.

sluggo

Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
  11. DarkMoonEnigma

Well good, then he already realizes that it has its challenges and the kinks need to be worked out. Your second sentence alone tells me what a massive undertaking this is, and that it's not basically something he does on his own, at least that's what it seems like. Are miners giving him feedback to help with what he wants to accomplish?

I might have to check this out to experience it on my own to get the full effect. :D

Thanks for your explanation that it's difficult to explain. That explains it all. :p

12. sluggo

Ahh, so you like my pattern of randomness then?

slug..

13. DarkMoonEnigma

I've learned to appreciate patterns of randomness, but won't reveal where. :p

14. Eugenio Anhithe Wilde

Eugenio Anhithe Wilde Moon Manager Staff Member Moderator Monria Media Team

Wiki installed :p

Ant

15. sluggo

What's another name for Thesaurus?

sluggo

Kendra likes this.
  16. DarkMoonEnigma

What are you, Quick Draw McGraw? :D

Thank you very much, I'm sure this feature will be of benefit to the community. Now the task is to explore how and what data we want to add. There will probably be a learning curve along the way, but everything is a work in progress right now, and it's great to see it all coming together. :)

17. sluggo

Folks be careful editing a wiki, some of them it is real easy to accidentally wipe out an entry. Swearing at it afterwards don't bring it back either :D Don't ask me how I know this :p
    Fortunately I have become a bit more wiki literate since then.

sluggo

18. Kendra

Kendra Moon Marketer and Virtual shopper Staff Member Moderator Official Moon Shopper Monria Media Team

Funny man :p

19. Eric Shade Avenged

Eric Shade Avenged Monria Space Travel Program Manager Shop Owner Monria Yamato Pilot

If you were in full screen mode, how would you see the map, run statistics, etc...? You have to be in Windowed mode to run LBML.

20. sluggo

Eric, FWIW, I have multi monitors on my system, LBML on one, EU on another and other stuff on the third. It is doable and I think he actually said he was working on that at one time. Id have to go sift thru messages and see to be sure.

sluggo

Eric Shade Avenged likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.