Monria Music - Potential New Streams

Discussion in 'General Monria Discussions' started by DarkMoonEnigma, Dec 3, 2015.

1. DarkMoonEnigma

DarkMoonEnigma Connecting Moon Dots Staff Member Moderator Community Manager Monria Media Team MCAT Team Member

There was a thread started here about adding new Monria music. I realize the thread is over a year old, but I haven't found where there was any progress on this request, other than continuing with the selected streams, so thought I would bring it up again for discussion.

It's a bit difficult to please everyone at the same time because music is such a personal experience, but maybe as a community we can post music selections here that we think might fit the Monria theme without distracting from the dark and eerie ambiance of the environment.

There might be other horror movie instrumental tracks that would fit, or specific epic music, and maybe even music from Lovecraft's era in the 20's and 30's. We are discussing certain sound effects throughout Monria that will add to the gaming environment, but we're in the early stages of that at the moment.

I think being mindful of not only music choices, but lyrics, would be something to consider. The goal is to keep the connection between what a Cthulhu environment might sound and feel like, and maintain a sense of authenticity as it relates to the theme. Going forward, we have plans to engage your psyche with sound and the preservation of your sanity. We are after all humans playing in the dark with strange creatures where our significance is inconsequential.

I will add a couple of selections here that I posted in the other thread so that we have everything in one place. We want to give the environment a sense of haunting and horror, but also create a connectedness with sound that complements the overall experience.

One genre mentioned by VentureBros was metal, and I actually found a track recorded by Metallica entitled Call of Cthulhu. I don't see anything wrong with adding this particular track to a new playlist, because the sounds of the environment don't necessarily have to always be eerie instrumental sounds that I think sometimes gives the feel of new age music instead of perhaps something horror-based. I like some of the music I've been hearing, but I think it's time to ramp it up a bit. We don't want to put people to sleep, but energize them and get the adrenaline pumping now and then, especially during events.

Give some thought to what you would like to hear while experiencing the Monria environment, and post your music videos in this thread please.

I'll thank you in advance for your contributions, and I hope you'll give some thought to this. We want Monria to be your environment to enjoy, and look to you to give us feedback and help toward achieving that.

Thank you.

ImpnAintEasy and Venture Bros like this.
  2. Crazyshadow

Crazyshadow Monria Trader & Crafter

I think both of those would fit perfectly with the theme. I love the first minute of Call of Ktulu! I will try to look into some kind, I like the creepy music.

DarkMoonEnigma likes this.
  3. DarkMoonEnigma

DarkMoonEnigma Connecting Moon Dots Staff Member Moderator Community Manager Monria Media Team MCAT Team Member

Sounds good RT, I'm really interested in knowing what the community likes, and what they would consider for music streams that would fit in with the Monria theme. Doesn't mean we have to do away with what we have, but just enhance or embellish it a bit for variety.

4. DarkMoonEnigma

This thread is for exploration, and I'm hoping that community members will give us examples of what they would like to be listening to during their adventures on Monria, but also keep it close to the theme.

We are entertaining new directions with regard to what Cthulhu really means, and determining how we can move forward on that front. Cthulhu is more than an end-game creature that you kill for reward. We want to fully engage the "idea" of Cthulhu, but unfortunately you'll have to give us a little time to sort all of that out.

I agree that there should be more depth to the music we listen to on Monria, and Anhithe and I have been tossing around a few ideas that we think will change it up a bit, but we definitely want community input.

Who's going to post the next track for community review?

5. Eugenio Anhithe Wilde

Eugenio Anhithe Wilde Moon Manager Staff Member Moderator Monria Media Team

I always liked this track.

toecutter and DarkMoonEnigma like this.
  6. DarkMoonEnigma

That's a great track Ant. It has that haunting feel to it, and based on the lyrics, I see a Yog tunnel for some reason. I'm wandering in the cold cavern, knocking my head against a crystallized wall. Perfect, that's the desired effect with the new direction, something eating away at your brain, but you're not quite sure what, or how to stop it. You just know that you have to keep going or you'll lose your mind completely.

The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear. And the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.
    The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.
    Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places.

H. P. Lovecraft​

7. sluggo

sluggo Official PED Donator, Friend of Lootius Shop Owner

This may be a stupid suggestion but here goes.
    Spotify, and NO I don't have any vested interest in it, just use it...
    You can make 'groups' and share them. Invite members to your group, and I believe the group owner can set permissions, where people can add music to the group.

How about making a group, call it Monrians or something, those who want, can join that group, (need a spotify account of course but it's free on a PC / Mac) .vs. mobile device. anyways...

Once the group is made, you can add music to it, other members can if you want them to, we can build our own library of music, and then you queue up what you want to play and if there is something you don't like, dump it out .

This might be a lot easier than trying to stream otherwise, and possibly have to deal with copyrights, interfaces etc etc.

If im being stupid, tell me to go lay over by my dish and I will :)

sluggo

8. Pusherman

Pusherman A Mooner Staff Member Moderator

my personal preference would be :

:

9. Eugenio Anhithe Wilde

How about something a bit more festive....

10. Sholle Von Cartiz

Sholle Von Cartiz Well-Known Member

11. DarkMoonEnigma

Ant has a warped sense of humor, but I love it. He's excellent to work with.

I'm going to have to find something new to post. :p

12. Eugenio Anhithe Wilde

13. DarkMoonEnigma

This has potential. Maybe even for some spectacular event where we send you to the darkest corners of Monria, messing with your mind along the way. :winged <--- Focus here while you listen to this music video. :D

14. Fyrs

Fyrs New Member

These ones fit in well I think. Problem with the old stream was while there was some good music in there, more often there was just noise and no music.

15. DarkMoonEnigma

We're going to revamp the streaming and what Monria participants hear. We want something that will fit with the Cthulhu theme, but be vibrant enough that it will have a positive effect. It's a work in progress. Thank you for your feedback. :)

16. sluggo

sluggo Official PED Donator, Friend of Lootius Shop Owner

ahh the theme from the exorcist, not bad. Maybe to root out them cultists with :D

sluggo

17. Sholle Von Cartiz

browsing Youtube in search for some music with horror thematic , I stamp on a young artist/composer that makes Celtic, Emotional/Relaxing/Dark/World/Metal/Film Music and he have some pretty awesome sound tracks, so I was thinking... what if I contact that person - proposing him to check Monria, EU in general because he probably not familiar whit this game :) but to focus on Monria and maybe he can do some "pro bono" tracks, who knows maybe he will like the idea :)

or just maybe I am little crazy in my head :D

but first, before i try to contact him, I need green light or an opinion about this, from Anhithe and rest of Monria management team

18. DarkMoonEnigma

I think that's actually an awesome idea Sholle. If we could get a couple of original tracks from the artist you're speaking of that will fit in with the Cthulhu theme, it would be terrific, and we could certainly give him credit to promote his talent. We really appreciate members of the community being proactive with their creativity for the enjoyment and benefit of all.

You have the green light Sholle, let's see if we can make this happen. Let me know if there's anything you need. Perhaps you can post a sample of this artist's music that you think might fit so we can have a listen?

We have some creative ideas in place that we're working on, but want the community to be a part of what they'd like to listen to while enjoying their adventures on Monria. We don't want to copy another planet's audio, or be too similar.

When someone joins Monria, or travels from some other location in space, we would like the experience to be as different as possible. Sights and sounds combined promote a certain feel and connection to the environment, and it becomes reinforcing the more a player experiences it, so having anything similar to another part of the universe might defeat our efforts at achieving our own uniqueness.

This is our third week getting acclimated, and we have plenty in progress, but it's important to us to include and engage the community toward achieving our goals. This way it's a win/win and we all benefit. :)

19. Sholle Von Cartiz

I like green :)
    ok so I send him PM and email hoping I will make first contact with him.
    his name is Adrian von Ziegler, "Von" - its coincidence to my ava name .... or .... :p

here are few tracks that he created, but I am thinking how awesome will be if he is willing to make some new just for Monria! :cool:
    He have many more on his YT channel you can check it.

Kendra and DarkMoonEnigma like this.
  20. DarkMoonEnigma

OMG Sholle, I almost posted these myself and got drawn away by something else and forgot all about it. I've listened to this music before, and especially liked Blood Night. I think this would work very well with our theme. Tech War sounds a little too DubStep and Arabian Nights and I don't think it would blend in with the effect we want to produce. From what I've heard of the 2 Hours of Dark Music video, it definitely has an eerie feel to it and perhaps would fit.

I'm going to use Blood Night with my next Monria video. :D

Great find, this is exciting. Let me know when/if you hear back from Adrian. Thanks for your effort. :)